Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What a relief it can be

During my first year of graduate school I realized that I had become psychologically addicted to the total sense of relief I felt at the end of each semester. It is similar to the feeling of leaving a job--it's over and there is no point in worrying about whether you could have done better, done more. What makes school unique is that you know the relief fix is going to come at regular intervals, though it sometimes feels as if it is taking its time.

Why am I talking about this? Because I am pretty sure that I am going to experience a huge, I mean HUGE, relief for sometime after I retire. But, what happens after that? Will I miss that relief? Or will I find retirement so blissful that it will seem rather humorous (since I will be in such a state of bliss that EVERYTHING will seem humorous) that I ever found that relief so appealing? Will it be like the difference between Palo Duro Canyon and the Grand Canyon?

No comments:

Post a Comment