Wednesday, September 16, 2009

No Sub for Retirement

Last night my stomach was an absolute mess, and this morning I woke up with swollen, painful glands. So, as I was making endless, fruitless calls early this morning in an attempt to find a substitute, I realized that not having to do this anymore will be yet another advantage of retirement. I won't ever have to call in a sub. I hate going down that list, calling people I don't know, often waking them up, only to be told they can't do it. When I no longer have to do that I'll be able to enjoy being ill because I won't have to feel guilty about inconveniencing anyone else!

Of course even though I felt bad about not being able to go to work today, I still took advantage of being home. I re-read Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. It's an enchanting book with wonderful characters. One of my favorite characters is Lester Hopkins because as a young boy, watching his grandfather "living the life of Reilly" he decided "he wanted to grow up and be retired." A kindred soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment