Sunday, August 23, 2009

Why I want to retire.

OK, I've cleaned up my kitchen enough that I can blog now.

You may be asking yourself, "why has she always been so danged anxious to retire? Does she not like to work? Has she always had awful jobs? Is she just plain lazy?" While I admit that it does seem a little extreme to begin thinking about retirement from day one of work, I can happily report that it isn't any of the aforementioned reasons.

Actually, I enjoyed all of my jobs. That's not to say that they haven't pissed me off at times, made me crazy and grouchy at times, worn me out, stressed me out, and generally made my life miserable at times. But, I always knew when it was time to move on, for whatever reason. Sometimes I just needed a new adventure.

I can happily say that I have found all my jobs to be stimulating, challenging, and rewarding. And, I have been very lucky to have worked with some very great people. Sure, in every job there was a person or two about whom I fantasized holding their heads under a babbling brook. Of course, I would never really do such a thing, but the fantasy helped me deal. My current job is no exception. I love it, but . . .

I have always had so many interests, and things I want to learn about. Full-time work just gets in the way of my ability to explore my interests. As I get older and my body slows done, it gets more in the way. I tell folks that I get half as much done in twice the time as when I was younger--even ten years ago. So, retirement is becoming more crucial everyday.

I think I can trace it back to my first part-time student job in my undergraduate days (I made $1.25 and hour.) I had a wonderful supervisor. A sweet, older man in his 60's. Every summer he and his wife would travel to the Grand Canyon to work at the store, so they could enjoy the Canyon inexpensively. He often talked about how he couldn't wait until he was retired so they could go out there full-time. I don't remember for sure, but I think he retired when he was 65. The next year he died of cancer. A similar fate has been a fear I've carried with me, and every year I continue to work, is a gamble.

4 comments:

  1. Be honest. Who have you wanted to drown at THS?

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO for it! I highly recommend retirement at the earliest possible moment. There are other ways to earn money to carry you over, if you can get through the first few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wrote'I think he retired when he was 65. The next year he died of cancer.' This just happened at my work place. The librarian had planned to retire at 65, in December, but found out she had cancer in July and died the second week of August.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez Judy, confirm her worst fear why don't you! LOL Hey, Tia Rebequita! I am glad you have decided to write about your "retirement venture." I hope you achieve your goal and give us some pleasant reading along the way. :) I just started writing a short story! You would be proud, I think. It's so much fun to be writing again and I can't wait until I get it done so I can get some proofreaders. So, don't fret over the "possibilities" of death prior to retirement. That's why most people kling to a religious faith. It gives us hope that if we died tomorrow, without accomplishing our goals here on this earth, maybe we'll get another chance in the hereafter. It's never too late to become a buddist! LOL I love you bunches!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete