Saturday, December 26, 2009

"What's time to a duck?"

I'm in Florida, visiting my mommy for the holidays. It's kind of like being in a Seinfeld episode--one of those where he's in Florida visiting his parents. They always had to go to dinner at 5:00 p.m. Well, tonight we had to leave to go to dinner at 3:45 so she wouldn't be late getting home to go to bingo at 5:30. Of course, the place we went for dinner was only about ten minutes away, and at that time of day not exactly crowded. But, you never know. So, there we were, before 4:00 p.m.; done eating by 4:30 p.m.; and back home by 5:00 p.m. Now she is off to bingo because she sells the bingo cards, and I have strict orders to be there by 6:30 because they start playing at 7:00 p.m.! I'm thinking maybe this retired Floridian way of dealing with time will help me with my New Year's resolution, which is to make more of an effort to not be late. Being late is a habit I picked up after moving to Austin. Actually it doesn't really feel to me like I'm being late in Austin because at least half the people I know are always late. So when I arrive somewhere ten to fifteen minutes after the arranged time, I feel like I'm actually on-time. But, I recently discovered that this little habit is actually very annoying to Mr. Edd, so I have decided to get into the zen of being early. We'll see how that fits in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment